Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Habrantus Robustus; the toughest plant both in hot and rain seasons

 

Habranthus Robustus or pink Rain Lily in my "garden" - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

By looking at the picture above, it is a cute flower, isn't it? 😍 That my pink Rain Lily in my little "garden" that has been there for about a year! I am proud of this plant because it is one of the tough plants that could adapt perfectly in both hot and heavy rain seasons. 

In January 2020, we went to the Garden by The Bay to see flowers and plants. Garden By The Bay is my favorite place to go at least once a year whether during the Christmas holiday, or in the middle of the year where a particular flower shows off such as Sakura, Tulip, Dahlia, et cetera. I wish my father still around; I bet he would very happy visiting this awesome garden where we can find any kind of flower from around the world especially the flower where his grandfather came from, and it is Tulip Flower!

I bought one small bulb of Habranthus Robustus when we visited Garden By The Bay in January last year. It was just before Covid-19 confirmed for the first time in Singapore. The price is about $ 5, and I think is not bad when I can see the result now after planting them. I am satisfied and happy because it grows well and produces flowers very often.


Pink Rain Lily bud - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

The high of this plant approximately 30-40 cm with tin linear foliage and yellow anthers. Like I mentioned the flower color is pink with soft five petals. So, sometimes I say it is starflower because it identical to a star shape. After observing for sometimes I knew that the flower has always faced the sun that indicated this flower-like direct sunlight. So, the best spot to place this plant is to put it where the sun could reach them directly.

The interesting question is that true this plant will emerge by following rain? That's the question from one of my Japanese friends who also love flowers and do volunteer at one of the Botanic Gardens. March is the month when we can feel hot weather in Singapore. However, my pretty pink flower flowered at the time. It was for the first time my Rain lily had flowers in March 2020 after planting it in January 2020. And I realized it needed more space to grow then I decided to move it to another flowerpot that has enough space for this cute flower and using potting soil that rich in compost. After a few months, this plant develops more new bulbs that means will produce flowers for each one of them. I can't remember how many times my Rain Lily blooms until today, but it often shows off their pretty pink flower maybe once a month or flower once in two months. So, I can not answer my friend's question. I think when the flower emerges it depends on the environment where we plant it. For example, in Singapore, I can not say it will have a flower when the rain season comes, basically, the rain season starts in November, December & January we experience heavy rain, and in February the rain comes less and less. However, It just my assumption based on my experiences growing Habranthus Robustus from a bulb in little space in Singapore. So it is the reason why I call this flowering plant is one of the toughest plants both in hot and rainy seasons because they can adapt to these environments quickly. And I do believe, people out there have different experiences.😊

During the rain season, I do not need to give water to my Rain lily. Meanwhile, in the hot season, twice a week is enough for watering this plant. Is that Ok only twice a week? Yes! But it depends on what kind of potting soil we use. Me, for example, I have always given the best potting soil for my plants or flowers that I grow in a pot for instance potting soil rich in compost. This soil is not easy being dry during the hot day, it can keep moist surround and save some water. Moreover, I do not think that my pink Rain Lily needs water every day; I bet the bulb will rotten if overwatering.🙄

That's my experience for the past year have growing Habrabthus Robustus. What about you, are you growing flowers and plants? Happy gardening! Save the world by doing small things like gardening!😉

Read my recipe on how to make fried Hokkien noodle more intriguing, link here https://ichi-recipes.blogspot.com/2021/03/veggie-fried-hokkien-mee-with.html

Note:
  • Written by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Do not copy this article without permission
  • Do not reuse these photographs anywhere else without permission





No comments:

Post a Comment